sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] svn p4 replacement wiki update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] svn p4 replacement wiki update
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:55:32 +0200

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:40:43AM +0200, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> Op vr, 21-04-2006 te 18:06 -0500, schreef Jeremy Blosser (emrys):
> > On Apr 21, Pieter Lenaerts [e-type AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> > > hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm updating the wiki page on subversion as perforce replacement.
> > >
> > > check it out if you want to test it.
> > > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/SVN_grimoire
> >
> > How much do we still need this if we aren't anticipating keeping a
> > separate
> > permanent devel grimoire?
> >
> > test will be the trunk, with stable-rc branched from that and occassional
> > devel per-wip project.
>
> I'm not sure how much I like this idea...
> It has advantages for sure, but disadvantages as well...
>
> the advantage would of course be that development can work a lot more
> independently.
>
> a great disadvantage would be to pull in the changes of other devs to
> your dev branch for pre-test testing... gcc's being a first example of
> such spells. I'm not sure how and from where we would assemble this
> stuff...

There would still be a devel branch/repository for long time WIP stuff.
The main difference to now is that _only_ those will get there. The
average change in devel gets integrated to test in a matter of minutes,
that integration step will simply go away.

> I also see a lot of double work being done this way, like updates that
> are done in someone's local devel branch, not yet pulled into test, that
> another dev simply doesn't know about.

Most people only submit updates to devel once they cast on their boxes,
and then they can immediately be integrated to test.

> I think I need to put some more thought on this.
> to be honest, I like the fact that I'm running a devel box...

You'll still be able to do that, but you'll run test grimoire + a small
overlay of devel spells :)