sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Apprenticing and Welcome

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Apprenticing and Welcome
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:51:32 -0500

On Sep 29, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > For this reason we are going to pilot an "apprentice" system where we give
> > these people commit access to the devel branch(es) only, with another full
> > developer accepting responsibility to review their commits and integrate
> > them to test for them. Hopefully after doing this a short while and
> > getting some experience working with our system and policies these
> > apprentices will feel ready to become full developers. I will be posting
> > some info about this to the web site before too long.
>
> How will we know when new mentors are needed? I do like this idea, but
> we should probably post to the mailing list when asking for mentors so
> that all developers have a chance to offer their time if they want to.
> ;)

Yeah, if someone wants to apprentice and we need a mentor for them, we can
ask the ML. I know from past experience with this kind of program that at
least starting out it won't help much to try to keep a list of volunteers
except for when they're immediately needed, availability changes too much.

When we get a page up on the site about this (when the site is back up) and
get the editing permission issue resolved we can maybe have an area of that
page for developers who have time to be a mentor to add themselves as
available.

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] Apprenticing and Welcome, Jeremy Blosser (emrys), 10/01/2005