sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Some games grimoire peculiarities(s?)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Some games grimoire peculiarities(s?)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:42:05 -0500

On Aug 09, Andrew ruskie Levstik [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> > [snip-a-lot]
> > > find ./ -type d | xargs chown root.games
> > [snap-a-lot]
> > Shouldn't that be root:games?
>
> So far user.group worked for me always(I'm guessing almost any sane
> delimiter would do the job). I never used user:group always
> user.group(saves me a keypress :) )

Not any sane delimiter, GNU chown only respects colon or dot. However, dot
is deprecated. From the chown info page:

Some older scripts may still use `.' in place of the `:' separator.
POSIX 1003.1-2001 (*note Standards conformance::) does not require
support for that, but for backward compatibility GNU `chown' supports
`.' so long as no ambiguity results. New scripts should avoid the use
of `.' because it is not portable, and because it has undesirable
results if the entire OWNER`.'GROUP happens to identify a user whose
name contains `.'.