sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Help needed

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Help needed
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:29:36 -0700

The big difference I know of between emerge and sorcery is that our
dependency system is far more in-depth. They have use flags which say
"always use this (xfree86, arts, etc)". We have optional dependencies on
a per spell basis and providers which allow one to choose one of several
things that fulfill the same goal. Someday in the future Im going to
expand it to do even more.

Like Duane pointed out they dont understand the power of an &, and thus
are incapable of downloading sources in the background while compilation
is occuring.

They claim to allow multiple versions of something install at the same
time, which isn't really true as it just installs things on top of each
other. Thats really only useful for libs which

Just my experience at least.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |