sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Help needed

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Help needed
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:48:45 +0200

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:34:05AM +0200, Jaanus Heeringson wrote:
> So I'm at it again, burning the midnight oil.
>
> I have recently read a lot of different articles about Linux in general
> to try and get a grip on the "feel" out there, and this is some things i
> found out:
>
> 1. There is a confusion about choise of distro. At least more than there
> was a few years ago, mostly due to the big ones starting to charge for
> updates etc. People change distros often and simply can't make up their
> minds. This is good for us, and we should take advantage of it.
> 2. Gentoo is big. It is almost allways mentioned alongside the other
> large commercial distros. This is good since more people are interested
> in sourcebased distros, and bad because we have a lot of work to do if
> we want to make ourselves heard next to them.
> 3. A lot of the intermediate users are very tired of choise. They simply
> don't want to research at every corner to install the appropriate stuff
> (which MTA, DNS etc) and are asking for a "preferred setup". This maby
> don't concern us yet, but it might in the future.

I'm not sure we _ever_ want a "preferred setup". I mean a preffered
setup is nice, but Source Mage is, has been, and as far is I am
concerned will forever be about choice. That's what got me into the
distro back in the Sorcerer days, and has kept me with it all the time.
I think we could use more profiles that can get people started, although
imo we need a different way to do that than the current meta-spell way.

About the rest of your mail I can't tell much, all I know about gentoo
is based on what i read on the gentoo website and what i read from the
gentoo users (you can't really get around them recently ;).
I think sorcery is more powerful than emerge, but that opinion isn't
based on experience, just on what former gentoo users who switched told
me.