seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] [Market Farming] Seeds of Change, supplier of open pollinated seeds is no more; gone. UPDATE

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] [Market Farming] Seeds of Change, supplier of open pollinated seeds is no more; gone. UPDATE
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 03:42:26 -0400

On 8/4/2010 2:37 AM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Mars (manufacturer of junk food candy bars) bought Seeds
of Change some years ago. A natural food store manager told me they
offered no seeds to them last year for resale. Last week the goons in
the employ of Mars (possibly from there as well) appeared at Seeds of
Change, told _everyone_ (read: _all_ employees) that they were fired on
the spot and to get their things together and leave the property
immediately. They confiscated their laptops and cellphones, were not
allowed to download their personal data, were watched while emptying
their desks (might take a company ball point pen) then escorted off the
property. The organization is being dismantled and the property will be
sold. No more Seeds of Change, supplier of open pollinated seeds. A very
similar scenario unfolded a few years ago at Seed Savers Exchange after
an internal coup carried out partly by Monsanto surrogates resulted in
the loss of nearly a life's work by Kent Whealy.

marketfarming mailing list
marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org

seedkeepers mailing list
seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

UPDATE:
-------

To my knowledge Seeds of Change is still in business but closed the old
experimental farm where seed breeding and research was done. This site has a lot of sentimental value since it was used after the Gila, NM farm was sold.

Keeping the record straight.

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute
www.permaculture.org

Dear Mr. Roe,

The SEEDS OF CHANGE business is undertaking a strategic shift as part of our long-term growth strategy. Part of our strategy includes closing our Santa Fe, New Mexico farm and basing our U.S. management team and warehouse in Rancho Dominguez, California, where our Mars Food US offices are located. We intend to continue the majority of the seed production and operations as they are today, and will further deepen our relationship with a number of our existing farming and research sites in the United States.
The SEEDS OF CHANGE Brand will continue promoting sustainable organic agriculture and delivering great tasting organic products. We appreciate the trust and support that consumers have placed in the SEEDS OF CHANGE Brand in our first 20 years and look forward to continuing to provide the highest quality seed varieties and great tasting organic products that consumers have grown to love.

We appreciate your comments as your confidence in our products and continued goodwill are very important to us. Thank you for contacting us.

Diane Cuvo
Seeds Of Change
Consumer Care Department
1-888-762-4240