seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Seed sources for commercial growers.

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: ed&bunkie <bunked@centurytel.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Seed sources for commercial growers.
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:22:55 -0800

great list for seeds and plants larry! we use several of them. all great with variety and help.

had a rough season this year. heavy snow in late June and temps in the 30sF. unheard of in this neck of the woods for that time of year. cukes, squash and some toms really suffered. we bought lots of reemay cloth in case we get similar cold next spring.

elizabeth, how did your growing of Wells Rice turned out? our rice stayed in large cells till mid June, before the snow and cold. they were turning yellowinsh and had to be transplanted. then we got the unexpected snow and cold and the poor little plants didn't make it. from reading about what others are saying, they need 'heat' and do not like cold.

btw, elizabeth, the person who grew Wells Rice for bountiful Gardens is no longer. they're anxious to get seed...just a thought! if you have extra, i would be interested also. i am planning on trying again, maybe growing it in the greenhouse, or covered.

thanks, bunkie.