pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Re: Wardian Case Plans

  • From: Jeanne Schudel <jschudel@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "m_jhodes@ix.netcom.com" <m_jhodes@ix.netcom.com>, pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Re: Wardian Case Plans
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:21:24 -0500

In the AOS Bulletin for February 1989 there are directions for building a case that was used in Houston by Ron Hanko when he had to move his collection from NJ to TX. He made the case himself and gives directions.
It would help if we had some idea of your part of the country. It does influence the problems you may encounter. good luck
Jeanne Schudel, JAcksonville FL

Marquis & Jennifer Hodes wrote:

> Michael Sandven wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find details for building a DIY case
> suitable for these types of orchids?
 >--snip---

Before you undertake a major construction project you might like to try out
my solution and see if you want to go the whole 10.5 yards.

Try obtaining one of these:  (note this is only one source for this item -
I just happened to know where to find it here)

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&product
id=1116&cid1=174&cid2=270&cid3=-99

for humidity I use one of these:

http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

the # M001 fitted with K002 and K003 and K011

in a bucket of water.

I also have a clip on fan (also from Charley's Greenhouse) to keep up a
good air circulation.

Mine is set up indoors adjacent to a large glass patio door and receives
bright, indirect light.

This setup will allow you to grow a variety of pleurothallids and other
miniature, moisture-loving orchids.  You'd be surprised how many minis you
can fit on the shelves, even allowing ample space for the bucket and fans
and to not have anything in the direct blast of air from the fans.

Good Luck,

Marquis Z. Hodes, MD, PhD

Too much stuff about to bloom to list it all but the current in-bloom
favorite is a Notylia barkeri with what seems to be a hundred tiny flowers
on a single 3-4 inch inflorescence.

PS:  You might also like to look at:
 http://www.tallyorchid.org/orcharium/index.htm for how someone else (Prem
Subrahmanyam) did it.