permaculture - [permaculture] Apple Search - The Search for "Lost" Heritage Apples

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: sustagnet@googlegroups.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Apple Search - The Search for "Lost" Heritage Apples
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 19:54:46 -0400

Apple Search - The Search for "Lost" Heritage Apples
https://applesearch.org/?fbclid=IwAR2cVbAxgVgWPqBrkcoxR3iXC8I917hwpEroxbFQ3KfMbRZ0IV2LfBW02h8

The Search for "Lost" Heritage Apples
Check out our list of heritage apple trees For Sale
<https://applesearch.org/buy.html>
The Junaluska Apple Discovery Story: <https://applesearch.org/buy.html>
read about the fascinating story of finding this famous historic apple

Heritage Apples are the apples of our Grandparents and Great-grandparents.
Their uses were varied--for drying, frying, fresh eating,Halloween treats,
baking, brandy, cider (hard and sweet), vinegar, livestock feed, and much
more. The diversity of their shapes, sizes, colors,textures, tastes and
times of ripening was amazing. For every early farm family an extensive
orchard was essential. As more and more land was settled, a well developed
orchard was a sure sign that civilization had reached the American frontier.

These old timey apples are part of our agricultural heritage, but they are
rapidly being lost forever. The trees are being cut down and the older
people who remember the apple names are passing away. The window to still
find and save these wonderful apples is rapidly closing.

Tom Brown of Clemmons, NC, became interested in finding and saving these
apples in 1999. Some of the results from this effort are presented here.
The apple trees are saved for future generations to enjoy by donations of
scionwood to heritage apple nurseries and preservation orchards, plus trees
are grafted for return to their original counties. *To date over 1,000
apple varieties have been discovered, with an actual original tree being
found in each case.*

Top of Page
<https://applesearch.org/?fbclid=IwAR2cVbAxgVgWPqBrkcoxR3iXC8I917hwpEroxbFQ3KfMbRZ0IV2LfBW02h8#top>

  • [permaculture] Apple Search - The Search for "Lost" Heritage Apples, Lawrence London, 09/30/2019