permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How To Decolonize The Permaculture Movement | The Huffington Post

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelda Lorax <kelda@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@mailman1.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How To Decolonize The Permaculture Movement | The Huffington Post
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:23:07 -0500

I love that he wrote this article, and the last one. I put a link to it on my (permaculture design) website along with the positionality perspectives I wish other permaculture practitioners can articulate. http://divinearthgp.com/positionality.

Getting called out on our stuff sucks, but feels good, because we become better people and it makes our movement better. Both Jason and Chris sound like you're listing to us all the reasons you're not that kind of gringo. Okay, but I'm happy to say I AM the kind of gringo that thought all of his complaints were okay until I was called out for not having a better social justice lens, and now I think they're not okay. (One of the first steps in anti-racism trainings is to realize that all white people are racist because we've been trained to be that way. To deny our training is just to delay our inner work that could actually help to fix the problem).

About cultural appropriation specifically, I think PDCs (which do admittedly work well for certain parts of the world and people) need very much an acknowledgement of where our techniques come from. Additionally we need a fundraising 'pass the hat' with each module (or as a percentage of the course) to help those communities that developed awesome techniques self-actualize with whatever negative impacts they're currently facing under colonization. I want my students to be just as well-versed with the struggles of those communities now as they are with how the technique can work in their garden. And because I'm white, I go through every module thinking of who in my community, that has experience of being a person of color, could teach the module better than me, and I 'step back' as much as possible.

We white permies need to be okay getting called out, and I daresay, like it, if we want other white communities/regions/political parties to be able to do it too. Otherwise it's just an irrelevant garden and another white person causing trauma to brown people.

Kelda Lorax