permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@mailman1.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 17:05:54 -0600

When I came up with the idea of "the elephant in the room" it was obvious to me that we were not talking about the invisible structures that control the planet. My first session in IPC Brazil was titled "Is permaculture capitalism and oxymoron".

Since that time I have presented about maintaining the integrity of permaculture by insisting on covering all of the concerns of permaculture as they are indicated in the permaculture ethics.

While Wes whinges about it not being relevant to less developed countries I think that it is the opposite. It is the third world that now being looted by the capitalism of the developed world. It is ill informed teachers who are certifying students in a truncated PDC that is little more than a organic gardening class with little to no mention of the invisible structures or ethics and principals. In the years I taught with Bill Mollison he insisted on teaching the full range of permaculture concerns saying "there is no need to dumb down this course since many in the rural sector already know more that we do about conditions in their own ecosystem.'

Permaculture is in danger of becoming another form of imperialistic thought that, like the missionaries, comes to save you from your own lack of enlightenment. I find this shockingly denigrating to the object of this posture and that it leaves the audience with a view of permaculture that not that different from the local USDA agricultural evangelism.

Scott