permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:02:38 -0500

I’m just gonna call it like I see it. Economic Imperialism is the elephant
in the room, and be careful not to confuse the room with permaculture—the
room is the entire world. It’s rooted in greed and selfishness as opposed
to generosity and interdependence, and let’s throw meanness versus kindness
in there too. The problem here is the aims of permaculture and economic
imperialism are incongruous. That’s what needs to be continually discussed
because nearly all of us have been raised to envy economic imperialism and
use it as an approach however overtly or subtly. It’s bound to continually
sneak its tentacles into permaculture work, which undermines the goal. Some
of us don’t want to undermine what we are working for so that we can fit
into the business world or make a juicy income. I’m just gonna say it. If
you think you can shift economic imperialism to regenerative aims, you, my
dear friend, need to examine your paradigm and the world a bit further. I’d
also recommend examining the definition of insanity. I’m not particularly
militaristic, but I will say it’s most important to know your enemy. What
many object to about this topic is infighting, which I also dislike, which
is why I say know your enemy. Don’t attack the messengers of economic
imperialism in permaculture, attack the message, and do so kindly.

Jason Gerhardt

--

www.realearthdesign.com

720-496-9744