permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [growingsmallfarms] Rotating solanaceous crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [growingsmallfarms] Rotating solanaceous crops
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 07:51:13 +0200

One of the few things I know about is Irish weather. Potato Blight is linked with damp soil, such that the Irish Met Office issues Blight warnings & advises farmers to spray. Much for the soil is poorly drained clay, rain here is unremitting in all 4 seasons, but not monsoon like, so conditions are not optimal. Better drainage might help prevent suitable conditions for Blight.

--

Declan Moriarty
Sent from my Android

On 27/05/2016, 21:14 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
> My garden is very small and I don't have enough room to follow a good
> rotating schedule for these crops. Is there any way to shortcut this
> process to kill the fungus, etc that damage them? The only option I know is
> to not plant some of my favorites.

John in the sanet-mg mailing list (now a Google Group) has stated many
times that he has been able to grow potatoes in Ireland without
interference from disease, i.e. blight and that he has accomlished this
through application of good compost on his garden soil, implying that
beneficial microorganisms outnumber and devour the predatory plant
disease-causing ones. Maybe this method will work for tomatoes too. My
thoughts are that application of rock dust soil amendments willbe of great
benefits as they will feed the beneficial microorganisms so they can
establish larger colonies and keep soil healthy.

These sites will probably be the most help:

USDA NRCS
Soil Biology
http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/soils/health/biology/
The online Soil Biology Primer is an introduction to the living component
of soil and how it contributes to agricultural productivity and air and
water quality. The Primer includes chapters describing the soil food web
and its relationship to soil health and chapters about soil bacteria,
fungi, protozoa, nematodes, arthropods, and earthworms.
The online Primer includes all of the text of the printed original, but not
all of the images of the soil organisms. The full story of the soil food
web is more easily understood with the help of the illustrations in the
printed version.Printed copies of the Soil Biology Primer may be purchased
from the Soil and Water Conservation Society.
Go to www.swcs.org
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053868>
Soil Food Web
By Elaine R. Ingham
http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053868
Soil Biology Primer Chapters

- Overview
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053860>
- Soil Food Web
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053868>
- Food Web & Soil Health
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053865>
- Soil Bacteria
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053862>
- Soil Fungi
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053864>
- Soil Protozoa
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053867>
- Soil Nematodes
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053866>
- Soil Arthropods
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053861>
- Earthworms
<http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053863>

The roots of your health: Elaine Ingham on the science of soil
by Lynda Brown
<http://sustainablefoodtrust.org/?post_type=contributors&p=8909> on 6
March, 2015 in Farming
<http://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/?category=farming-2>
http://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/roots-health-elaine-ingham-science-soil/

Elaine Ingham
Soil Foodweb, Inc.
FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/FAQ.html

she is saying that tomatoes prefer a fungal dominated environment as
opposed to bacterial for brassicas
application of fungal dominated compost from woody biomass would be in order
<>
Compost Teas: 24 hour, AACT, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts
any of these might help
here are other URLs to more info on this:
message archives:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/compostteas/
message archives for the compost tea mailing list from Jan 2002 through Jan
2007
https://sites.google.com/site/compostteabrewing/
Introduction To Effective Microorganisms (EM) by Vinny Pinto
https://sites.google.com/site/biointensivefarming/introduction-to-effective-microorganisms-em-by-vinny-pinto
Effective Microorganisms (EM)
https://sites.google.com/site/biointensivefarming/effective-microorganisms-em

And then there is soil remineralization for production of "nutrient dense"
foods.
Remineralize the Earth <http://remineralize.org/>
*remineralize*.org/
*Remineralize the Earth* ... Learn what remineralization is all about, and
how to apply rock dust to your garden or farm. ... remineralization
advocates and activists.

John D. Hamaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Hamaker
Wikipedia
John D. Hamaker (1914–1994), was an American mechanical engineer,
ecologist, agronomist .... By assuming the task of remineralizing the
Earth's soils, just like glaciers do during an ice age, remineralization
would create fertile soils

How to Remineralize the Earth | OC Digital - Organic Connections
“We can address this by returning minerals to the soil just as the earth
does. ... Just ask Dan Kittredge, executive director of Remineralize the
Earth

Why Rock Dust Is the Future of Gardening | OC Digital
We talked with Joanna Campe, president of Remineralize the Earth, to get
the dirt on rock dust and how remineralization is the future of gardening
and farming

More:

*Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion*
Archive 1
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/1/maillist.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/1/maillist.html
Archive 2
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/2/maillist.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/2/maillist.html
Archive 3
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/3/maillist.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/3/maillist.html
Archive 4
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/4/maillist.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/4/maillist.html
Archive 5
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/5/maillist.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/5/maillist.html
Soils In Biological Agriculture
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/permaculture/mailarchives/discussion-threads/soil-quality>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/permaculture/mailarchives/discussion-threads/soil-quality
Remineralize the Earth
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/remineralization/remineralization.selected-writings>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/remineralization/remineralization.selected-writings
Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon - ARS
Bulletin <http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/sep02/soil0902.htm>
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/sep02/soil0902.htm
*Links, Bibliographies & Services*
PMAC Soil Quality Resources (excellent) <http://www.pmac.net/slqual.htm>
Soil Quality Links & Literature
<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/soil-links+lit.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/soil-links+lit.html

[orangegrapevine] TAG=aquaponics, composttea, EM, ACT, IMO, KNF, AACT,
BOKASHI
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/orangegrapevine/T3iAXhYpiAA

[orangegrapevine] Aquaponics & Compost Tea
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/orangegrapevine/CGL-dgJ0ViY

The compost_tea mailing list has one of the best collections of information
on compost tea making and using and use in aquaponics:
who has written several world class books on the microbiology of compost
tea - well worth adding to your library - just discovered a new CT list:

Gardening with Compost Tea
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gardening_with_compost_tea/info

Another compost tea list is here and has many things of interest in its
archives
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/compostteas
Compost Teas: 24 hour, AACT, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts
Archives: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/compostteas/

More mining of my permaculture list for aquaponics and compost tea
information:
use this unique Google search tool, the site: command in the search dialog
box
site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture aquaponics
returns:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A+lists.ibiblio.org%2Fpipermail%2Fpermaculture+aquaponics&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8
and for ibiblio only, five or more pages of links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A+lists.ibiblio.org%2Fpipermail%2Fpermaculture+aquaponics&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8#q=site:+lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture+aquaponics+site:lists.ibiblio.org
(please ignore posts with political opinion from people who got up on the
wrong side of the bed :-)
This particular post will probably be of great interest to you:
[permaculture] EM, IMO, KNF, compost tea, AACT, bokashi, etc resources.
Part 1
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2012-October/041826.html
[permaculture] EM, IMO, KNF, compost tea, AACT, bokashi, etc resources.
Part 2
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2012-October/041828.html

Here is a long list of aquaponics related links
http://www.i55mall.com/aquaponics/links.shtml

<>

[compostteas] EM, IMO, KNF, compost tea, AACT, bokashi, etc resources. Part
1

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/compostteas/2012-October/000604.html

[compostteas] EM, IMO, KNF, compost tea, AACT, bokashi, etc resources. Part
2

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/compostteas/2012-October/000605.html

/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilqualityhttp://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/
BDNOWhttp://www.mail-archive.com/bdnow@envirolink.org/
Indigenous Microorganisms + Korean Natural Farming
Associationhttp://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/5/msg00012.html

Supplemental Resources on Effective Microorganisms
(EM) and Indigenous Microorganisms (IMO)
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/5/msg00138.html

-

Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com