permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Tell EPA to ban these nasty chemicals!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Tell EPA to ban these nasty chemicals!
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:11:52 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pesticide Action Network <subscribe@panna.org>
Date: Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM
Subject: Tell EPA to ban these nasty chemicals!

[image: PAN]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4KLsBegF6qtHIriJVxpR4sMplHEqpRj1>
These neurotoxic chemicals have got to go.

Dear Lawrence,

Our strategy is working. After comments from tens of thousands of
supporters like you and legal action by PAN and our partners, EPA announced
plans last fall for action on the brain-harming insecticide chlorpyrifos.

*Now they’re taking a closer look at this entire class of pesticides.*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=rjhh%2FAHRmwsfsSFsPlF%2FbcMplHEqpRj1>

This is a long overdue step, since science clearly shows these chemicals
are harming children, workers and rural communities.

EPA needs to hear from all of us now, before the comment period closes next
Tuesday. *Tell Administrator Gina McCarthy that it’s high time for action
on neurotoxic organophosphate (OP) pesticides across the board.*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2YKqZn%2FhGCWRlDEpmNEWgcMplHEqpRj1>

A mounting body of scientific evidence shows that even at low levels,
exposure to OPs can damage children’s developing brains, leading to reduced
IQ, autism and attention disorders. And right now, EPA can take action on
several of these harmful chemicals at once, rather than one by one.

EPA’s own analysis shows that these chemicals put farmworkers at risk, and
workers are routinely exposed. In a poisoning incident in Hawai’i last
month, ten workers in Syngenta seed testing fields were sent to the
hospital after contact with the OP insecticide chlorpyrifos. Many incidents
like this go unreported.

It’s time for the agency to pull these neurotoxic pesticides from the
market, and keep them out of our fields, food and drinking water once and
for all.

*Please urge EPA to ban all uses of the seven toxic OP pesticides now up
for review — sign on today!*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1q4QU3R3PjFgJxL1%2B%2FbrisMplHEqpRj1>

Thank you for helping to build momentum for real change.

[image: Take Action]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mBwGa0nthNqO0y4eY2a00sMplHEqpRj1>

*Pesticide Action Network North America*
*Oakland, CA | Minneapolis, MN*
*510.788.9020 <510.788.9020>* | community@panna.org | www.panna.org
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KOZcikNSyFS%2FyvadMMdec9n1yrUCiSbO>

Unsubscribe me!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dJPQgQ%2Fq9bNYRj1JqGB6k8MplHEqpRj1>

http://www.panna.org/take-action/time-brain-harming-pesticides-go?utm_source=action&utm_medium=alert&utm_campaign=ops-epa

The science is clear: even at low levels, exposure to organophosphate (OP)
pesticides can damage children’s developing brains, and lead to reduced IQ,
autism and attention disorders. Farmworkers and rural communities are also
at risk.

It makes all the sense in the world to take action on several of these
harmful chemicals at a time, rather than one by one.* Sign onto the
petition urging EPA to ban all uses of the seven OPs now up for review!*
We’ll deliver your signature before the comment period closes on Tuesday,
February 23.

Dear Administrator McCarthy,

We urge EPA to ban all uses of these seven neurotoxic organophosphate
pesticides immediately: chlorpyrifos-methyl, dicrotophos, dimethoate,
ethoprop, profenofos, terbufos and tribufos.

This class of pesticides has been proven to cause neurodevelopmental harm
to children and to poison farmworkers and others in surrounding communities
when they’re sprayed in agricultural fields.

After years of delay, your agency recently acknowledged the extensive
evidence that exposure to these pesticides damages development of
children's brains. It's time to act to protect children from reduced IQ,
delayed development, autism and attention disorders associated with these
dangerous pesticides. EPA should take immediate steps to ban these
brain-damaging pesticides in order to:

* Protect children from learning and memory impairments
* Protect communities from pesticide poisonings when the pesticides drift
off crops and into nearby neighborhoods and schools
* Prevent contamination of drinking water with these pesticides
* Prevent worker poisonings and harm to their children

Action on these toxic chemicals is long overdue. We urge you to ensure that
your agency moves quickly to ban these pesticides now.

Thank you for your consideration of this important issue.

Sincerely,

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com

  • [permaculture] Fwd: Tell EPA to ban these nasty chemicals!, Lawrence London, 02/18/2016