permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:20:24 -0700

I have an idiosyncratic book called “History of the Italian Agricultural
Landscape,” by Emilio Sereni (we do collect some weird stuff, yes?). Since
the Middle Ages some Italians have grown grapes in polyculture with
chestnuts, olives, and wheat (though usually by alley cropping each, not as
mixed guilds).

There is a system called alberata which is rows of trees (often mulberry or a
forage tree) with grapes entwining the bare lower trunks and running between
the trees. Often these ran along roads, or were done along terraces with
stone walls to collect heat. Haven’t looked at the book for a while, but it’s
a detailed history from Roman times to now.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Coming in July: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City.
Pre-order it at on-line booksellers or at
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_permaculture_city/