permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BBC News - Obama hails 'new chapter' in US-Cuba ties

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BBC News - Obama hails 'new chapter' in US-Cuba ties
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:43:50 -0500

>From BBC News article on this:

"US President Barack Obama has hailed a "new chapter" in US relations with
Cuba, announcing moves to normalise diplomatic and economic ties.
Mr Obama said the US' current approach was "outdated" and the changes were
the "most significant" in US policy towards Cuba in 50 years.
Cuban President Raul Castro said he welcomed the shift in a TV address.
The move includes the release of US contractor Alan Gross and three Cubans
held in the US.
Wednesday's announcement follows more than a year of secret talks in Canada
and at the Vatican, directly involving the Pope."

"Mr Obama and Mr Castro met a year ago at Nelson Mandela's funeral

The US is looking to open an embassy in Havana in the coming months, Mr
Obama said.

The plans set out in a White House statement <http://www.bbc.com/news/v>
also include:

- Reviewing the designation of Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism
- Easing a travel ban for US citizens
- Easing financial restrictions
- Increasing telecommunications links
- Efforts to lift the 54-year-old trade embargo

Mr Castro said the changes were something Cuba had been pressing for for a
long time.

"Ever since my election... I have reiterated on many occasions our
preparedness to hold a respectful dialogue with the government of the
United States based on sovereign equality," he said.

President Castro urged Washington to lift a trade and economic embargo
imposed on the communist-run island - a move that can only be made by
Congress."

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com