permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Beetle Kill and Biochar-- Fwd: USDA Invests in Research to Convert Beetle-Killed Trees into Renewable Energy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Beetle Kill and Biochar-- Fwd: USDA Invests in Research to Convert Beetle-Killed Trees into Renewable Energy
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:08:34 -0500

I have been making aerobic charcoal and adding it to the compost pile, and
dear me but the fungi and plant roots just love it. They colonize the char
vigorously. I have a batch of char that I have used to sop up urine that I
am experimenting with that I hope will be a super soil amendment once it has
been through the compost pile for colonization.

Now this is by visual inspection. I do not have a laboratory to give you
all the data and perimeters so I guess it will be easy to simply discount my
experience, in which case you really should try this yourself. The real
potential I see for producing char is in generating heat for cooking, hot
water and heating while producing a viable on farm/homestead feedstock for
the production of a fully mineralized soil amendment while sequestering some
carbon in the soil versus pumping it into the atmosphere.

I must say though that if we waste energy we are simply chasing our shadow
endlessly. We must address the base of the pyramid which is energy usage
while utilizing the best life supporting systems to get what little we
actually need.

Eisenhauer Design Inc.