permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Beetle Kill and Biochar-- Fwd: USDA Invests in Research to Convert Beetle-Killed Trees into Renewable Energy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Beetle Kill and Biochar-- Fwd: USDA Invests in Research to Convert Beetle-Killed Trees into Renewable Energy
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 23:07:28 -0500

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Amy Little <amylittle@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> Though not stated clearly... Cool Planet Energy Systems is BIOCHAR
> oriented
> company.....

That could be a lot of trees across the country utilizing losses from ash
dieback, pine beetle and other sources. I remember the years when pine
beetle devastated
quite a large number of southern yellow pines and possibly other varieties.
If the harvesting is done on tree farms, state and national parks lands,
federal land,
private sector tracts growing timber for paper or lumber products then you
might have a lot of material to convert to biochar. The main issue is
getting the trees harvested and
transported to biochar production sites; who is going to pay for and do
this?

Lawrence London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com
http://www.avantgeared.com