permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Field identification of the 50 most common plant families in temperate regions [PDF] (sci.sdsu.edu)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Field identification of the 50 most common plant families in temperate regions [PDF] (sci.sdsu.edu)
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 03:13:39 -0800 (PST)

That seems to happen a lot. One might conclude that our understanding of
relationships and characteristics is still quite incomplete, or perhaps the
entire idea of trying to categorize plants in families is limited. Obviously,
there are some plant family patterns that are quite useful to know and
understand, but others appear to be more ambiguous and less useful.
Permaculture categories have quite a lot of use and relevance, and may
perhaps become part of the botany lexicon at some point.

Koreen Brennan
www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition

Thanks Lawrence. I see some are re-housed in different families from what I
was used to.
John

families in temperate regions [PDF] (sci.sdsu.edu)

> Field identification of the 50 most common plant families in temperate
> regions
> [PDF]<http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/plants/plantsystematics/Identifying_50_major_plant_families.pdf>
> (sci.sdsu.edu <http://www.reddit.com/domain/sci.sdsu.edu/>)
> Microsoft PowerPoint - Identifying_50_major_plant_families.ppt -
> Identifying_50_major_plant_families.pdf
> http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/plants/plantsystematics/Identifying_50_major_plant_families.pdf
> Google message archive search:
> http://www.ipermie.net
> Avant Geared  http://www.avantgeared.com
> https://plus.google.com/+Avantgeared

Google message archive search:
http://www.ipermie.net
https://plus.google.com/+Avantgeared
>From dhondt@eircom.net Sun Nov 3 17:31:11 2013
commonplant families in temperate regions [PDF] (sci.sdsu.edu)

I suppose these recent changes have to do with DNA sequencing
For me plant relationships are more than a little bit important. Some
families are generally very safe to eat or use in medicine while others are
naughty and have some very toxic family members. A few years ago I nearly
lost a whole family of friend because they did not remember this. "Ah, that
is probably what the French eat with Xmas.." Two hours later the whole
family was in a coma in hospital and it took the husband who had eaten most
of it more than 4 months to recover.
John