permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Gas We Eat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Gas We Eat
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 04:45:09 -0400

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM, loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com> wrote:

> Nearly half of the world’s population owes its existence to food
> grown with industrial nitrogen fertilizer produced from natural gas. (1)
> In 2004, journalist Richard Manning published an intriguing, if somewhat
> controversial, article in Harpers magazine called The Oil We Eat: Tracing
> the food chain back to Iraq. Manning notes that growing our food under the
> usual practices requires about 10 calories of fossil fuel energy for every
> calorie of food energy.
> Preparing the soil to grow grains, especially corn and wheat, requires
> a lot of energy and maintenance to rip up the soil every year in order
> to exclude other plants and create a non-competitive environment for the
> seed to grow. In the case of no-till farming, energy is spent to make
> herbicides that, like the plow, block the natural process of ecological
> succession.
>
> full article:
> http://blogs.agu.org/terracentral/2013/04/28/the-gas-we-eat/

Great post. Recycling on site nitrogen could help reduce off farm inputs of
fertilizer. On Facebook I noticed a post about introducing ducks into an
aquaponics system
so I made a few comments which were followed by another from someone
mentioning the national permaculture infrastructure in Nepal as being very
well organized to serve the people of that country.
He contrasts the ongoing work in Nepal with lack or organization within the
permaculture movement here in the US (and IMO in Australia), with the
latter countries suffering from a faction emphasizing the economic aspects
of bringing permaculture to the country at large.

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/how-create-aquaponics-system-ducks
How to create a aquaponics system with ducks
Eco Films Australia |
Friday, 12th April 2013

[image: Vapid
Ness]<http://www.facebook.com/n/?profile.php&id=100000495956421&aref=183126467&medium=email&mid=86552cbG228abae0Gaea49c3G12e&bcode=1.1375425949.AbloykggGoiRVRj_&n_m=lfljvenaura%40gmail.com>
Vapid
Ness<http://www.facebook.com/n/?profile.php&id=100000495956421&aref=183126467&medium=email&mid=86552cbG228abae0Gaea49c3G12e&bcode=1.1375425949.AbloykggGoiRVRj_&n_m=lfljvenaura%40gmail.com>
2:45am
Aug 2
I have the Tshirt! Ducks are on the t shirt of the classic permie
tree/rainbow at
www.spiralsofabundance.com<http://www.facebook.com/l/DAQEbbNnN/www.spiralsofabundance.com>(website's
down for maintenance at the minute), and pretty important in
Mollison's models. I like Spirals of Abundance, they support Nepali
farmers- Nepal has one of the biggest associations in the world (and their
Association seems better on people care and fair shares than the one in the
U.S.)
*Spirals of Abundance <http://www.spiralsofabundance.com/>*
www.spiralsofabundance.com

Comment History
[image: Lawrence
London]<http://www.facebook.com/n/?LFLondon&aref=183126467&medium=email&mid=86552cbG228abae0Gaea49c3G12e&bcode=1.1375425949.AbloykggGoiRVRj_&n_m=lfljvenaura%40gmail.com>
Lawrence
London<http://www.facebook.com/n/?LFLondon&aref=183126467&medium=email&mid=86552cbG228abae0Gaea49c3G12e&bcode=1.1375425949.AbloykggGoiRVRj_&n_m=lfljvenaura%40gmail.com>
12:22am
Aug 2
For that matter build a whole farm aquaponics system. Collect rainwater
that has flowed through a pigpen with wallows; send it through an
artificial wetland; grow aquatic food and fodder plants, add the ducks to
feed on duckweed, recirculate water through refiltration stages then back
to the duckweed lagoon, add ducks again, repeat process; feed duckweed to
pigs too.
[image: Lawrence
London]<http://www.facebook.com/n/?LFLondon&aref=183126467&medium=email&mid=86552cbG228abae0Gaea49c3G12e&bcode=1.1375425949.AbloykggGoiRVRj_&n_m=lfljvenaura%40gmail.com>
Lawrence
London<http://www.facebook.com/n/?LFLondon&aref=183126467&medium=email&mid=86552cbG228abae0Gaea49c3G12e&bcode=1.1375425949.AbloykggGoiRVRj_&n_m=lfljvenaura%40gmail.com>
12:18am
Aug 2
Novel idea, never heard of integrating ducks into an aquaponics system; in
a later stage component of such a system where water is further purified
with duckweed, introduce ducks at this point to feed on this high protein
plant then return the water to the start of the filtration system. I would
like to see a high graphics flowchart of a system like this.