permaculture - Re: [permaculture] lost crops of africa

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] lost crops of africa
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 21:30:26 +0100

I had a quick look over the lists and it is a good thing I am not jealous by nature Daniel.
We are still suffering low temperatures and it is not even easy to grow lettuce. Potatoes have just broken ground and have been stuck there for a month.
The lost crops of the Incas are more suitable for our conditions. Occa, mashua, quinoa, yacon and other Andes plants do quite well here normally. Our apple trees did not even flower this year for all the difference that would have made for pollinators are extremely scarce.
John

I found these e-books online at the National Academic Press webpage: The Lost crops of Africa. I. Grains, II. Vegetables, III. Fruits.

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=2305

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11763

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11879

Surely a interesting resource for those who are interested in tropical wild food conservation, diversification or just plain cultivation. I am sure there are some pretty drought hardy species among those listed.

You can log-on as guest and download the pdf's for free if you live in a developing nation (not sure how they check this: perhaps by IP address, perhaps not).

Daniel