permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 22:17:09 -0400

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org> wrote:
>

>> One option is to cover weeds with 2-3 overlapping layers of cardboard (or
>> newspaper, but you'd need a lot more layers), then put a few inches (at
>> least 3, more if you can) of mulch on top of that. If you're doing raised
>> beds and digging or tilling anyway, you could cardboard mulch the paths so
>>

> If you do this you need to keep an eye out for poisonous snakes getting
> under the cardboard in search of mice to eat.
> The mice will carve out cavities and tunnels and the snakes will go right
> for them. You might thinbk there would not be'
> room under the cardboard for mice and snakes but not so. If you have such
> snakes in your area I would definitely not use cardboard;
> mulch, tillage, hand pulling and cover crops would be a lot better and a
> lot safer. I encountered a huge copperhead last summer
> under a pile of cardboard boxes and tree branches near my front yard.

Well, well, well. You really should never take anything for granted with
poisonous snakes. I just posted the previous message, walked out of my shop
and discovered a large copperhead slithering along a concrete slab next to
a wall. This is the first time I have ever encountered one at night.
It met the business end of a long 2X4 board. I will be even more vigilant
around my buildings 24/7 in season. Be informed.

LL