permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 21:50:28 -0400

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org> wrote:

> One option is to cover weeds with 2-3 overlapping layers of cardboard (or
> newspaper, but you'd need a lot more layers), then put a few inches (at
> least 3, more if you can) of mulch on top of that. If you're doing raised
> beds and digging or tilling anyway, you could cardboard mulch the paths so

If you do this you need to keep an eye out for poisonous snakes getting
under the cardboard in search of mice to eat.
The mice will carve out cavities and tunnels and the snakes will go right
for them. You might thinbk there would not be'
room under the cardboard for mice and snakes but not so. If you have such
snakes in your area I would definitely not use cardboard;
mulch, tillage, hand pulling and cover crops would be a lot better and a
lot safer. I encountered a huge copperhead last summer
under a pile of cardboard boxes and tree branches near my front yard.

LL