permaculture - Re: [permaculture] New online Certificate course

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rhonda Baird <rk.baird@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Kelda Miller <kelda@riseup.net>, Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>, Colin Doyle <colin@lostvalley.org>, Rich Blaha <rblaha@abrinc.com>, Albert Bates <albert@thefarm.org>, Peter Bane <pcactivist@comcast.net>, Deston Denniston <abundancepc@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] New online Certificate course
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 12:56:23 -0400

Bill Wilson at Midwest Permaculture offers a partial online experience.
People do self-study for the first week's content and come together at a
location to do a second week in person. I know that has been in place for
some years.

I have to say that I have been developing an interest in organizing an
on-line course in combination with a shorter periods of in-person support.
I'm surprised at my own interest and the logic driving it, as I strongly
prefer in-person, face-to-face experiences. I am particularly thinking of
pairing with my state's technical schools as a good place to work. I think
one of the keys--and Andrew Millison seems to do this well--is to provide
community online and personal mentoring and support for practical work on
the ground where the student is located. While less perfect than a
residential course, I do think this has its place as time goes on and worth
careful exploration.

I have been part of an online community for 14 years that does its
education and community-building online punctuated by optional weekend
intensives. In fact, I run a portion of the online educational programs, so
I know there are a number of challenges and benefits. There are lots of
options now--compared to 1998 when I got involved.

walk in peace,
Rhonda Baird