permaculture - [permaculture] soilless crop production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] soilless crop production
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 16:25:55 -0400

Hydroponics, aquaponics, aeroponics do that. It is a matter of designing equipment and processes scaled to the need at hand. Nothing wrong with automation, auto-harvesting and placing in refrigeration or prep for a meal. Much work has been done with growing blue-green algae and chlorella; that could easily be scaled to home food production. SPROUTS! Grow sprouts in trays and recycle the growing medium and stubble. Wheatgrass, barley grass, alfalfa, sunflower (black oil seed),
buckwheat (buckwheat lettuce) are gourmet food. I have eaten all of them except barley grass. I think sprouts could become a major source of plant-based nutrition when depending on soilless growth medium. Very many vegetable seeds can be sprouted for human consumption. Next, consider the potential for soilless growth of certain wild, exotic, heirloom, international foods, including some fruits. What about fruit; how could one do without that. Quality meat grown in a Petri dish sounds like future food. Google "future food" and see pfaf.org, Plants For A Future. I think cultured meat product could be made to taste great. "Seed" or starter tissue could be frozen for years to ensure a supply for future use.