permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture in Central America bike tour

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marie Walker <marie.psycat@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture in Central America bike tour
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:32:20 -0500

Hola!

My name is Marie and I have been subscribed to the permaculture mailing list for one year. Last year I lived in Detroit, Michigan, supporting the urban farming movement by helping the local farms in the city of Detroit- in the garden and buying local produce. I was enrolled in two permaculture courses taught and hosted by Killian O' Brian, Larry Santoyo and Keith Johnson. I also assisted in the construction of roof thatching with harvested phragmites reeds at Deanne Bednar's Strawbale Studio. The year I lived in Detroit, I fell in love with the Permaculture vision, learning and integrating the concepts into my everyday habits.

Since November 2011, I said goodbye to America to tour Latin America by way of riding my bicycle. My plan is to ride as far as Patagonia. I crossed the border of Nogales, Mexico and rode though Mexico 4,000 kilometers. Currently, I am in San Cristobal de las Casas, weeks away from entering Guatemala. I just began to travel with my partner, Piem, who is expert in music signal processing and is involved in the Debian project. He is equipped with high definition video cameras and we will be filming more, creating small videos about what we are doing.

My inquiry is: would anyone recommend me Central American (even South American) permaculture recourses? I would be interested to visit projects supporting indigenous cultures, environment protection, natural construction, and organic farming- anything and everything to do with permaculture. More so, I want to share these experiences and learning opportunities with my blog followers and facebook friends. I try to take every opportunity to share these holistic concepts with everyone, in hopes that others will be inspired, as I have been.

I want to add that I am not looking to enroll in a PDC. But if you have information related to this, I am open to it.

My blog is: thelongdistancetruth.wordpress.com.

My email is thelongdistancetruth@gmail.com

Piem's blog is: m.piem.org

Muchas gracias!