permaculture - [permaculture] Producing adequate livestock feed on site. Project Heiffer.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Producing adequate livestock feed on site. Project Heiffer.
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:08:22 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 09:38:00 -0400
From: Bill Daugherty

I've just started to raise heritage rabbits for meat, and believe that I can raise them with all feed being raised here on our farm.
I remember my father telling me how, during the depression, he and his
siblings raised meat rabbits, in town, and collected grass, clover,
branches, etc. every evening for feed. So, it would seem that this could also be accomplished in some urban areas and certainly in suburban areas.

Project Heiffer provides breeding pairs of chickens, rabbits, guinea
pigs, etc. to families in underdeveloped countries. This same concept
should certainly be applicable here.

Bill