permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Social permaculture - mental health issues

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ChildrensPeaceGuild <childrenspeaceguild@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Social permaculture - mental health issues
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:01:53 -0800 (PST)

A friend from college was recently diagnosed and so I took on the task of
researching alternatives for him. The best resources I found were:

http://theicarusproject.net/

(it is not a disorder but a powerful gift. in other cultures my friend
would've
been seen as a shaman or visionary...)

two good books:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Healing-Bipolar-Disorder-Nutritional/dp/0965097609/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Healing-Schizophrenia-Common-Disorders/dp/0965097676/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292633998&sr=1-4

I briefly advocated for mental health patients and foster care kids on
psychiatric drugs and just helped a friend recently who was having severe
side
effects from a psych drug, and I felt compelled to share this with the group.
When I worked in that field, I saw many many instances of the side effects
from
the drugs being worse than the mental symptoms they were supposed to help.
Some
of the drugs cause permanent brain damage, for instance - well documented in
the
medical studies.
I feel the legal drug cartel is part of the overall problem we are trying to
solve - there are more iatrogenic (caused by medication or other treatment)
illnesses than many of the top diseases. And we have the whole environmental
toxicity situation. I understand that not all medical drugs are bad and some
are
quite life saving, and for many, the side effects are worth it, and I
acknowledge that. But there are some serious corruption issues that I feel
need
to be looked at.
We worked on getting one law implemented in California that requires mental
health professionals to ensure a thorough physical examination is done before
diagnosing for mental illness. That is because, per study, so many mental
symptoms have underlying physical cases - we found lupus, a broken back (i
kid
you NOT - the pain was driving the person crazy), typhoid, heavy metal
poisoning, candida, vitamin and mineral deficiencies and you name it - when
it
was treated with alternative medicine (usually, except the broken back), the
mental symptoms disappeared.
The mental health industry has many scurvy elements to it (I've been there
and
seen it, some of it made me truly sick), and they are owned by Big Pharma
which
is so corrupt it is almost unbelievable, totally in bed with big oil, big ag,
Halliburton, etc.
There are alternatives which align a lot more with permaculture design, that
address real causes (including environmental), and show more thorough people
care.  This is one of them. Please, if someone you know is having serious
emotional or mental difficulties, consider alternatives.
http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/
Cory

Read the public message archives here:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture
Command to put in your browser's Google search box to search these archives:
site:lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture [search string (omit the
brackets)]
List Usage & Guidelines:
http://ibiblio.org/permaculture/documents/permaculturelistguide.faq
Permaculture http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture