permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Alternatives to electricity, LP gas and wood fuel for heating one's living space.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Alternatives to electricity, LP gas and wood fuel for heating one's living space.
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:24:58 -0800

For a superinsulated 300 sf space, do you need supplemental heat? On another list, a person in Oregon's Willamette Valley uses incandescent light bulbs as the only heat source in a small house. To maintain a temp around 60-64F, he uses 7 hanging lights (at eye level or lower) -- on a rheostat, to provide less heat in spring and fall -- and 2 table lamps. The light over the computer is changed to a CFL in summer.

I'd try solar with architectural direct gain (masonry where the sun shines on it), plus nighttime window insulation.

A couple dogs can help, too.

I've read about some version of a homemade window-mounted heat pump somewhere -- basically some baffles that speed up the flow of warm air, which is vented to the room, and cooler room air enters at the bottom.