permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith D Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:50:07 -0500 (EST)

I worked with a client in Virginia who wanted to convert a silo to water
storage. We accomplished this by anchoring (with tapcon screws) to the inner
walls a framework of rebar mesh and chicken wire (or expanded metal lath) and
plastering with two coats of fiberglass fiber reinforced mortar (about 1/2 in
to 3/4 in thick)...basically a ferrocement tank inside the silo column.
Worked great. Adding polymers (or elmers glue) to the cement makes it
stronger and more leak-proof. I've found that any places that wick moisture
through the walls eventually seal themselves by mineral accretion much in the
same way that stalagmites are formed.