permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the largest permaculture web site

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the largest permaculture web site
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:52:34 -0500

paul wheaton wrote:
I was asked this today. What is the largest permaculture web site?

Content counts as that brings traffic
some web presences are deliberately a combination of
website+blog+forum(s)+photo gallery+wiki
Many use graphics hosting separate from web hosting for their domain
as that can be free (flickr, webshots, photobucket, picasaweb, other)
and they may choose subdomain hosting for their website as opposed to paid hosting for their own domain
Web presence rating is based on:
1) Content and how well organized, searchable and accessable it is
whether it is website, wiki or blog
2) list archives: 25-50% of posts count content-wise
3) forum archives: 10-30% of posts count content-wise

If you would upgrade message size limit upwards of the defau;t 20000 characters that would help permies.com content a lot. I tried to post the entire letter from Kent Whealy about SSE and it would not accept it.
I did not want to break it up into multiple parts. As you may have noticed, I posted it here and it is nowhere near being too big to send out to all subscribers or have in the archives.

I have a pet peeve about list or forum message size limits that are too low. That dates back to early email/list and Usenet days where getting big chunks of valuable information to folks was important to many.
For me it is all about content, not volume. A small website with highly valued content beats the socks off ones with more pages and archives
with lower signal to noise ratio.

As for the OZ PC website/forums, they do indeed have good content, consider the documents on phosphate mining. They have lots of good things and I am sure glad they are there.

I see all this as a conscious group effort to bring good information to the table whether they contribute via forum, list or blog comment
or host and maintain mega online resources.

I continue to be impressed with the diversity and quality of resources
available to us and ways to network them within our own sites and with other's sites.

Have been looking at Blogger lately and all the gadgets, utiities
and other heavy duty resources they offer. Add the ability to network all that with social networking sites like Facebook.