permaculture - Re: [permaculture] http://permaculture.tv/copenhagen-climate-complex-places-events/

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] http://permaculture.tv/copenhagen-climate-complex-places-events/
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:41:14 -0800

I'm going to put my cards on the table in order to foster discussion towards a less polarized world.

I am not at all comfortable with the way that the push is on for the Copenhagen Treaty.
People want to do something about the state of the earth. I am not in the least convinced that this it the solution that will satisfy them.
In fact, it has every appearance of being the measure that will make their lot, for the most part, worse.
We have to look at three aspects: social, economic, environmental.
Firstly, the environment in which the science is being weighed is highly politicized and polarized. We have not really got all the cards on the table.
There are many who stand to gain from proposed environmental measures, and evidence of tampering with scientific information is being highly censored rather than investigated through the press. This 'climate' does not, to me, seem like a conducive one in which to come up with environmental strategies.
Secondly, the measures proposed could cause enormous hardship for those who are already struggling to make ends meet and whose busyness already takes them away from participating in our democracy.
Thirdly, the means provided in the legislation have the look and sound of another Post 9/11 'war measures' act. They take away our rights and freedoms, replacing national sovereignty with global inspectors. Who is at the helm here? And who are they answerable to? They are faceless, and they are non-representational. Most likely, the Copenhagen Treaty, were it passed, would be viewed in retrospect as a scuttling away of our right to elected representatives in the matters of government.

That's my .02

Looking forward to hearing yours (given that you've read mine first!)

Frances