permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Designers Manual - What the F$%K areyou talking about

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Designers Manual - What the F$%K areyou talking about
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:24:43 -0600

I don't hate the manual but I think there's no question that an open source alternative should be a top priority. We've had 100s of visitors, interns, helpers come thru Dreamtime in the last 20 years & I would say 5% of them would have been able to afford to buy the "information".... Most of these folks live on a couple thousand dollars a year if that much. They simply don't buy books in the traditional consumerist way. It's not a judgement about the validity of Bill's book. One of the thing over the years that people have felt most useful about their visit here is our immense library of resources.... But I've personally bought 3 copies of the big book in 20 years. The bindings fell apart on 2 of them (the book seriously needs a textbook binding & not the cheap binding that it has) & the other one was grabbed by someone. & you know what? A lot of these folks are doing very important work on the permaculture front & need all the support & encouragement they can get from the older generation of designers.

~mIEKAL