permaculture - Re: [permaculture] challenge: indoor aphids

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jerome Rigot <rigot.3@osu.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] challenge: indoor aphids
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:44:52 -0500

In addition to spraying water for aphid control, one has to be aware that too much available nitrogen in the plant tissues attract aphids. You may want to switch the plant food you are using, and use compost teas as a fertilizer.

Research at OSU has shown that potting soil with added vermi-compost, up to 20%, effectively reduce plants susceptibility to aphids (that is by enhancing plant health, plants' resistance to pests and diseases is significantly enhanced). This research was done in small greenhouses.

I can provide you with references to this research if you are interested.

Jerome