permaculture - Re: [permaculture] challenge: indoor aphids

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rselder@comcast.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] challenge: indoor aphids
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:35:21 +0000 (UTC)

Another go about aphids... To me, this says the plant is stressed in it's
situation OR is the only aphid-edible plant in the enclosed area.
Using best care practices of course, you could re -research the needs of the
plant and assess what care it is receiving. Indoor plants often dry out
severely... Many times the soil is so dry it repels the water around the
rootball into the catch tray and the plant continues in a stressed situation.
My favorite "best watering technique" is to soak the plant completely. I
place said plant in a tub or sink... let it sit for 30 minutes in water at
least at half-pot depth, then allow it to completely drain. Once a week seems
to work well for most of my plants. Some plant prefer more water, more often.
Soil, light, placement indoors, washing leaves (preferably with rain water,)
exposure... all these aspects can help a plant thrive or be a source of
stress. Like a limping elk, a stressed plant sends out signals to the aphids
(wolves) and they all gather 'round.

If you are in a warm climate, you could place the plant outdoors where
nature's army will help with the aphids and get a meal at the same time. This
works for my plants that summer outdoors... nature comes in and does the
once-over for them. They love it! You could perhaps bring a few local lady
bugs indoors? (Please don't buy "harvested" aphids!) PUt them on the plant
and, who knows, maybe they will stay and lay eggs!

Lastly... if the plant is severely infested and miserable beyond repair...
Put it outdoors on a sunny afternoon and let it die a natural plant death.

Love & light & keep the faith!
Becky Elder