permaculture - [permaculture] Winter squash crossbreeding project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: SArjuna@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Winter squash crossbreeding project
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 22:41:27 EDT

I'm growing 24 varieties of winter squash this year, and crosspollinating
many of them. I'm looking for folks who would like to grow out seed from
some of these crosses next year.

This would involve growing at least a dozen seeds from a given cross and
carefully hand pollinating them, then seeing what kind of fruits each plant
produces as regards size, taste, texture, how well the squash keep, etc and
also noting whatever there is to note about the plants as they grow. And
keeping the seed from each hand-pollinated new fruit separate and identified,
of course.

Based on all that, we'd decide which of the plants' seeds to continue
breeding from.

I am not done doing the crosses yet, as there are some varieties that have
not produced female flowers yet, but I can share with you the list of the
crosses I have done so far.

If you love winter squash and are interested in this project, please get in
touch. (And let me know where you live, as that will be relevant in
breeding squash that do well in particular areas. )

Who knows? We may create some wonderful new varieties of squash!

Regards,
Shivani in Wisconsin

.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&
bcd=JulystepsfooterNO115)

  • [permaculture] Winter squash crossbreeding project, SArjuna, 08/02/2009