permaculture - Re: [permaculture] how many acres per human?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] how many acres per human?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:09:49 -0800 (PST)

According to the Ecological Footprint people in BC, the number of acres of
"productive" land per person in the world right now is about three, and this
doesn't set aside any productive wilderness for other species.

The data from Kat Anderson's book would be higher than for most of the rest
of the US, as we had unusually high populations.  However, all of these
population densities are dependent on technology and the amount of work that
people are willing to do.  You can always increase yields with more work.
Plus, it is difficult to know which, if any, foraging people were truly
living sustainably.  They tended to live unsustainably locally, and then move
on to another area, cyclicly.  It does seem that they lived more sustainably
than horticulturists, who had higher population densities, overall.

I would suggest avoiding a kind of ecological determinism that sets rigid
limits on how many people per acre can be sustained in a given environment
without very specific details about technology and hours of labor.  Look at
how radically Plains cultures changed with the addition of just one species,
the horse.

Rain