permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Jerusalem Artichokes, An Overlooked Market

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Jerusalem Artichokes, An Overlooked Market
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:31:04 -0400

Everything I've read sugests that inulin is indigestible to some people and
perfectly digestible to others.

Beans contain a relatively small portion of carbohydrates that are difficult
to digest, and we all know what happens when we eat too many of them. The
sunchoke tubers should be almost entirely made of inulin, so if anyone can
eat a significant amount without trouble, it stands to reason that they are
absorbing the calories. I can't imagine the gut flora bypassing a meal of
predigested starches.

I also can't imagine that generations of people have grown and eaten them
for no nutrition. JA's aren't really a weird "permaculture crop" like
groundnuts or burdock- I've read several general interest vegetable
gardening books that mention them.

I am concerned that they won't be edible to me- if anyone suffers evil
flatulence its me. I'll let you know how it works out in September.

Your point about quasi-edible crops is well taken, but we need to remember
how dependent on us our regular agriculture and garden crops are. If we
have enough space, I think it is wise to add some crops that will survive
without irrigation, fertilizer, etc.