permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Typhon aka Kohlrabi?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Williamson <robinet@aapt.net.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Typhon aka Kohlrabi?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:00:31 +1100

Hi Neshura

Typhon sounds very much like a vegetable we call kohlrabi. I found confusion in botanical names for what appears to be the same plant:

Brassica oleracea var gongylodes, and
Brassica oleracea var caulorapa, also
Brassica oleracea gongylodes caulorapa

There's a photo of 2 hybrids of it growing on what looks like hard-baked clay in Arizona, plus plenty of cultural information at:

http://cipm.ncsu.edu/cropprofiles/docs/Azkohlrabi.html

However, you will need your permaculture filter ON when you read the information on this site as it contains inappropriate tillage practices and recommends a vast array of lethal chemical cocktails for controlling pests and diseases to which kohlrabi is susceptible (when thousands of acres are grown as a monoculture that may be visible from outer space let alone to any local pests hanging out for a feed). The information is otherwise useful, especially the section strangely called "Abiotic Diseases" which describes various signs of damage caused by local environmental conditions.

You may find a local seed source if you instead google "kohlrabi", I found lots of good recipes too.

Cheers, Robyn