permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Importing organic matter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Importing organic matter
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:00:07 -0400

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Achieve sustainability this way: apply as much manure and rock dust as you need to land to put into serious production and when utilizing the appropriate farm equipment (see my pix in URL below), over a year or so, create a farming system that works for you and guarantees an acceptable crop;

If you had local and regional groups of farmers working together and sharing
resources, a practice
common all over the USA at one time (I know of a specific instance in
Indiana) and still in use in many places,
a group could share one collection of farm equipment that could be used in
rotation on all participating
farms. In a group of ten farmers working 20 acres or less, there is no need
for more than one purchase
of tractor, implements, looader, trailers and trucks.

Ititially this may mean applying hundreds of tons of materials but this
is done only once, hopefully. From that point on its LISA or NEISA and
permanent notill beds, rows and fields.

- With little or no additional tractor work and tillage needed.

I forgot to mention that raised beds of the sort I use can be mulched with
large round hay bales spread across the tops
of the beds with a 3 point hitch bale unrolling implement. This further
increases soil water retention, tilth,
and fertility plus reduction in irrigation needs and nearly total weed
control.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm