permaculture - [permaculture] Re: sodium still

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tes thraves <tes@unc.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: sodium still
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:42:33 -0400

I asked a friend about mitigation sodium in well water. Her reply:
> Excessive sodium in irrigation water can cause poor water
> infiltration due to loss of soil structure through dispersion. This varies
> based on the soil clay content. This can be amended at least partially by
> increasing soil aeration. Sodium effects on plants can actually be due to
> calcium deficiency. This problem may be ameliorated by additions of gypsum.
> This may not be beneficial, however, if salinity is high. Also, since sodium
> is directly adsorbed into leaves ground irrigation is better to reduce
> uptake
> into the plants.

We talked about ti so much before she sent the above that I'm afraid we were
on to the compassion of seedlings by this reply and a bit off the water
itself. Hope this helps discussion some . . .
tes

  • [permaculture] Re: sodium still, tes thraves, 04/18/2005