permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Farmers comments

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Farmers comments
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:46:27 -0700

Farmer Dave wrote:

Just another couple of thoughts on certification etc. The original plan by Bill
was to have a flat hierarchy where once you learned pc at a course AND THEN
APPLIED IT TO YOUR HOME SITE, or village or whereever, then you could be
considered somewhat competant to teach a course. --snip--
Bill and Scott's original proposal in 1997 to create a teacher's certification
and to try and patent the word permaculture (and charge everyone a biennial fee
for use of it)were not devised so much to guarantee a high level of
qualification but to create a caste system in which as Scott put it "you had to
earn your chops at the feet of a master." The other goal was to exclude people
who they felt were either a threat to their head of cult status or who they
didn't like.

Luckily the people who were invited to the meeting in which they pitched these
schemes had good heads on their shoulders and rejected "taxation without
representation" and a heirarchy they rightly felt went against everything Bill
had said in the past about the structure of permaculture.

Scott Pittman wrote:
All of the above is pure fictitious fabrication, and I challange "Farmer Dave" to provide one person
outside himself that will be willing to support his claims. This person is borderline!!, and I'm not referring
to the "edge effect".

Farmer Dave wrote:

Certification? Pshaw! The only "certification" we need is the respect and
admiration of our neighbors. Especially now that oil is running out.

Remember what Darwin really said, organisms that compete for a scarce resources
(fame perhaps) both die out and nature replaces them with cooperaters.

Farmer Dave
www.earthsite.net

Scott Pittman wrote:
Pshaw!!! is "Farmer Dave's" way of authenticating his farmer roots - a type of certification that is as valid as his claims in
this blathering misal.

I also believe he made up the Darwin quote so I would love to see a citation.

--snip--

Greg, why don't you start your own listserve and see who goes with you? I think this is ridiculously childish. Please offer up your ideas and inoculate yourself from taking offense if someone doesn't agree with you. I would prefer that you calm down and enjoy the true spirit of the sharing this list offers. Please don't pollute: this very good thing is turning sour. Cindy @ Riverdance Farms

--snip--

Scott wrote:

Greg try this sentence "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!", doesn't that feel better?

There must be some correlation to adopting the appellation "farmer" that causes both the IQ and age to diminish drastically. Perhaps it doesn't happen to
real farmers, maybe I'll write a grant and study this.

Come on Greg!