permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Web Developers Guild?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Web Developers Guild?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:59:13 -0800 (PST)

I like the idea of a guild for PC Web design.

Haven't had the time to Paypal drill a hole in my head
yet. I prefer to set up software on my own host. If
the paypal solution is web link based, you could
probably hijack it via PHP or Perl. Add separate line
items for delivery based upon location. I'll take a
look when I get a chance. I want to set up Paypal
myself.

Who hosts your site? I wonder if you could get costs
put together to propose a PC datacenter. You could
subsidize your connection costs by providing hosting
services. By providing your own merchant/hosting
solutions, you could slide the scale based upon usage
and revenue metrics. That way, you get away from a
dial up service, provide low cost alternatives for PC
information projects like PIW & PFAF, plus a PC micro
economy emerges rather than constantly giving an
economic harvest away to the monoculture macro
economy.

Ideally, each bioregion would have their own hosting
site with a global system of redundancy via the PCWD
guild agreements. My site is based upon creating
bioregional PC marketplaces, so would be one of the
many services provided globally. With all the open
source implications for computing solutions, I'm
wondering how all of this could be used as an example
for the greater PC global community to share via open
source as well.

The greatest inertia felt in the major financial
centers will be funding. Short of leaving the city,
there are few options outside pre-existing building
ownership, container gardening, and small scale brown
field take over. With open source publications, for
instance, this inertia can begin to break with a
source for fund raising. As much as I would hope to
have the time to write my own, I would be more useful
writing/supporting software instead.

Open source doesn't have to be limited to bits and
words either. Clothes, vehicles, and small scale
electronic automation would also be useful. Imagine
an aquaponic logger system to share data globally with
others that are raising fish with plants. Although
some systems are not purely sustainable, they do
provide a calmer path to the energy decent we all
face. They also allow a PC ecovillage to operate more
successfully while the current monetary system
dominates.

Information should be free, especially when it leads
to the common good.

-Sean.

(http://www.permacultureactivist.net/subscribe/subscrip.htm)