permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Web Developers Guild?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Web Developers Guild?
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:58:15 -0500

I just modified the Permaculture Activist Subscription page (http://www.permacultureactivist.net/subscribe/subscrip.htm) and enabled it to take Paypal for subscriptions to the Activist, Permaculture Mag UK, and Agroforesty News. Yay! I also enabled a couple pages to take Paypal donations (http://www.permacultureactivist.net/) to help fund our trip to Europe for the IPC7. Yay! I also made the site easier to look at and smaller. Yay! All well and good.

But, when I tried to use the Paypal system to set up payment for books I ran into a snag. The problem is we charge different postal rates for different regions, ie 10% to US locations,15% to Canada, and 20% to everywhere else, and Paypal doesn't offer the choice to make those distinctions. They recommend a third party shopping cart (I learn this after 6 hours of dicking around with a very slow [24k/s] Paypal interface). So, now what?

Is there a manual that can accelerate my learning curve on this shopping cart / merchant stuff? Excellent websites for novices? Commited listeners / advisors from the list who can help? I want to make this happen in a fairly short time so that I can attend to the gobs of other stuff in my schedule. Help! Other web workers please identify yourselves. I have Dreamweaver MX and I'm using only a bit of its potential.

We need a guild or network or listserv for Permaculture Web Developers, I think. What do you think?

Thanks,
Keith

--
Keith Johnson