permaculture - [permaculture] Re: sheet mulching Quackgrass

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: sheet mulching Quackgrass
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:01:22 +0000 (UTC)

When I sheet mulch quack it holds it off for a year - there is no new seed
production - but wow the rhizomes in the cardboard the following year...
I use about 6" cardboard and 6" hay and basically consider that preferable
to mowing. If I weren't in a city I'd find an animal to eat it to the
ground. I've heard the roots make an ok infusion for drinking. Oh, also,
mulching + sunchokes will beat it longer term but careful with sunchokes.

Rob Scott
in Urbana, IL, zone 5

  • [permaculture] Re: sheet mulching Quackgrass, robscott@freeshell.org, 04/29/2004