permaculture - [permaculture] Green in the desert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.SantoyoDesigns" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Green in the desert
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:08:38 -0700

The other day I happened to be flying over the desert between Phoenix and LA, scanning the landscape miles below me to see what tales it would tell... and remembering the segment in The Global Gardener video where Mollison visits roadside swales built in the Arizona desert more than 50 years ago..they were lush and green and full of life...I wanted to see them too.

Though my eyes followed hundreds of miles of roads...nothing. And then, abandoning the roads and scanning the great plateaus and eroded hillsides, I saw something.

Five giant bands of green crossing a mighty hill. Two-thirds of the way up they began, each contour line must have been over a mile long, each band must have been 50 feet wide, and the distance between the bands, over 300 feet. An awesome piece of work, and no sign of its maker. No buildings or structures or roads were visible anywhere around the massive earthworks...Just these green bands of life crossing the stark desert landscape, high up a hill.

There are many hills in that desert...

Kathryn
Santoyo

  • [permaculture] Green in the desert, L.SantoyoDesigns, 04/23/2004