permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plant id...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plant id...
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:35:14 +0200

> Well, I'm no expert, but it looks like Japanese knotweed to me. Shoots
> and young leaves are apparently edible, steamed like asparagus. It also
> grows extremely fast and sets up a root system that can crack concrete,
> so be careful to keep it contained. Of course, I could be completely
> wrong....

pretty close, actually. it is fagopyrum cymosum, a perennial buckwheat, in
its original habitat of the southern himalayas called bullop-bi: it is a
great spinach plant, building clumps of 1 to 2 sqm within a few years, has
deliciously tender leaves without the acidity of the above mentioned
reynoutrias. j.l.hudson http://www.jlhudsonseeds.com/ used to sell the
seeds - i am proud to announce that i managed to establish in quite a few
austrian veggie gardens. it seems to be hardy wherever grapes grow. furhter
up/north it happily reseeds. it can be cut back completely in july or
august, giving lots of mulch and regrowing for another delicate crop. highly
recommendable. for collecting seeds it has proven best tp place plastic
underneath and check it at the end of the season, as it sets seed sparsely
and drops them readily.

keep growing...
georg