permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture wiki & wikipedia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture wiki & wikipedia
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:01:11 +0100

Hi lawrence- i spent a bit of time trying to put the contents page of the
permaculture wiki into a sort of logical order earlier today, also I pasted
in the organic gardening page from wikipedia although this needs some more
formating work- unfortunately their are a number of differences between the
formating of the perma wikik and wikipedia...

There are a number of lessons we could probably learn from wikipedia- it's
obviously more 'mature' than the permawiki (which is understandable as it's
been around longer and as a more 'general' encyclopedia has alot more
contributors), I've got quite used to wikipedia now, by comparison the perma
wiki feels more cumbersome, the consensus process of policy making at
wikipedia is quite advanced as well, particularly on issues like dealing
with vandalism, etc... (I guess there could be an analogy made that would
see perma-wiki as a new pioneer species colonising freshly vacant land in a
state of relative chaos, wheras wikipedia is much more like an established
and orderly garden...)

There's room for much more discussion about this, but it's late now & i'm
tired...

I'll start moving in some content I've created for wikipedia into the
perma-wiki as and when time allows...

Cheers Graham