permaculture - Ecovillages/Permaculture Research and Education Programs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeff Clearwater <clrwater@valinet.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Ecovillages/Permaculture Research and Education Programs
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:35:25 -0400

Greetings Permaculturists,

I've been enjoying the Permaculture lists for a while now. Below is an announcement of an appropriate technology and permaculture practices research and education program that you might find interesting.

We in the Ecovillage Movement are actively pursuing funds to fund a research and development program in Appropriate Technology and Permaculture. The Permaculture section is still under development but I think you'll find the whole approach very exciting.

Check out http://www.siriuscommunity.org/LR/rdd.technologies.html and previous and subsequent links.

Would love to hear what you all think!

Together we can create a sustainable culture!

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Network of the Americas
Living Routes-Ecovillage Network of the Americas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Colleagues and Friends!

I am writing to keep you abreast of the exciting work we've been up to here in the Ecovillage Movement and to ask your help in spreading the word. Together we can build a sustainable future!!

Check out our new web site on our ECOVILLAGE RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT & DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM at: http://www.siriuscommunity.org/LR/rdd.html This program will link universities and ecovillages in cooperative research, development, and demonstration projects in Appropriate Technologies, Renewable Energy and Permaculture Practices.

The LIVING ROUTES - ECOVILLAGE EDUCATION CONSORTIUM web site has recently been upgraded. (now with a Bucky Fuller "Dymaxion" Map of our Programs) >> http://www.LivingRoutes.org

ALSO!!! - We still have openings in our SUMMER INSTITUTE IN SUSTAINABLE LIVING. This 6 week program is an IDEAL WAY FOR STUDENTS TO LEARN SUSTAINABILITY in the context of intentional communities at a reasonable cost.

IF YOU KNOW OF ANY STUDENTS WHO DON'T YET HAVE THEIR SUMMER PLANS FIRMED UP - they might really appreciate hearing about this program. http://www.siriuscommunity.org/LR/SummerInstitute.html

THANKS!

Jeff Clearwater
Dan Greenberg

Living Routes

ABOUT LIVING ROUTES

Living Routes' mission is to develop and support accredited educational programs that empower participants to help build a sustainable future. All programs are based in intentional communities striving to model sustainable living (also known as "ecovillages"). We are working closely with the Global Ecovillage Network (www.gaia.org), the Fellowship for Intentional Community (www.ic.org) and a growing consortium of ecovillages, colleges, and universities to create these globally connected yet regionally developed programs.

For more information, visit our website at http://www.LivingRoutes.org or email us at mailto:info@LivingRoutes.org. And, please support our ecological marketing efforts by forwarding this email to individuals, websites, and lists you think might be interested in these programs. Thank you!

p.s. If you would prefer to not receive future Living Routes announcements, please reply to this message with the word "remove" in the subject line. We expect to send out only a few email messages per year and will not give your address to anyone else. Thanks!

OUR PROGRAM CALENDAR

July 7- SUMMER INSTITUTE in SUSTAINABLE LIVING................8 cr - GCC
Aug 18 Sirius, Massachusetts; EcoVillage at Ithaca, NY - USA

Learn valuable skills in sustainable living while experiencing
the richness of two premier intentional communities/ecovillages.
This six-week course will integrate academic and experiential
learning through holistic awareness practices, seminars and
readings, an ecological design project, bioregional field trips,
and integration into the day-to-day lives of two communities -
Sirius, a spiritual community, education center, and ecovillage
in western Massachusetts and Ecovillage at Ithaca, an ecological
cohousing community in upstate New York. Students can gain eight
semester credit hours of coursework through Greenfield Community
College. Don't miss it! We have some spaces left!

Aug 27- GEO COMMUNITIES SEMESTER - FALL......................12 cr - UNH
Dec 9 Plum Village, FRANCE; Auroville/Mitraniketan, INDIA; Sirius, USA

The Geo Communities Semester, formerly known as Geocommons Col-
lege Program, is a semester-long journey into ecology, community,
and mindful living. After forming a "Learning Community" in New
Hampshire, students and faculty spend ten days at Plum Village,
Thich Nhat Hanh's Buddhist monastery in southwest France; two
months in southern India at Auroville, an ecovillage and
spiritual community of 1500 people; and ten days at Mitraniketan,
a Gandhian community promoting village renewal. Re-entry to
North America occurs at the Sirius Community in Massachusetts
where students reflect upon and integrate their experience.
Studying sustainable living practices, students come face to
face with issues of world population, globalization, and habitat
destruction as well as experience the joys of intercultural
exchange, biological restoration, and mindfulness training.
Upon successful completion of the program, students receive 12
semester credits through the University of New Hampshire's
Department of Natural Resources.

Aug 31- FINDHORN COMMUNITY SEMESTER - FALL..................16 cr - PLU
Dec 9 Findhorn Foundation, SCOTLAND

This semester program in sustainable living weaves together
experiential study of community, creative spirituality, and
ecology of place through a living/learning immersion in life
at the Findhorn Foundation in northern Scotland. Findhorn is
a thriving community of over 300 people from over 20 countries,
with a rich history of hosting programs that foster personal &
planetary transformation. Sixteen semester credits are avail-
able through Pacific Lutheran University. Come join us on an
adventure you won't forget.

Jan 3- CRYSTAL WATERS PERMACULTURE PRACTICUM................4 cr - PLU
Jan 27 Crystal Waters, AUSTRALIA

This three-week course looks at human interaction as an ecology
of organisms in a complex web of interrelationships. Most of
the course is spent at Crystal Waters, a well established Perma-
culture Community on 640 acres in subtropical Queensland,
Australia. Students complete a Permaculture certification
program and experience the community as an example of ecology
at work. The hands-on curriculum addresses the environmental
and social challenges of our day and enables students to gain
direct experience in the application of Permaculture principles
in addressing those challenges. Also included are opportunities
to observe the area's rich wildlife, swim in crystal clear
creeks, and visit Fraser Island, the world's largest sand
island with a remarkable diversity of habitats. Four semester
credits are available through Pacific Lutheran University.

Feb 3- GEO COMMUNITIES SEMESTER - SPRING....................12 cr - UNH
May 16 Plum Village, FRANCE; Auroville, INDIA; Sirius, USA

See Fall Description

Feb 1- FINDHORN COMMUNITY SEMESTER - SPRING*................16 cr - PLU
May 19 Findhorn Foundation, SCOTLAND

See Fall Description
*This program is dependent on space availability during a period
when Findhorn will be remodeling some guest accommodations.

NOTE: GCC = Greenfield Community College
UNH = University of New Hampshire
PLU = Pacific Lutheran University
GEN = Global Ecovillage Network

LIVING ROUTES - ECOVILLAGE EDUCATION CONSORTIUM

72 Baker Rd., Shutesbury, MA 01072 USA Office: (413) 259-0025
Email: info@LivingRoutes.org Fax: (413) 259-1255

Dan Greenberg, Executive Director Elan Shapiro, Program Director
Jeff Grossberg, Board President Lawry Gold, Consortium Director
Jeff Clearwater, Research Director Philip Snyder, GEN Int'l Secr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates
Community Scale Appropriate Technology & Renewable Energy Systems
413-259-1900, clrwater@valinet.com

Research Director - Living Routes-Ecovillage Education Consortium http://www.LivingRoutes.org
Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas http://www.gaia.org/secretariats/ena/
Focalizer - Sirius Ecovillage Office http://www.siriuscommunity.org
Sirius Community, 72 Baker Rd, Shutesbury, MA 01072
(413) 259-1254, (413) 259-1255 Fax

  • Ecovillages/Permaculture Research and Education Programs, Jeff Clearwater, 04/25/2000