permaculture - alpha goose

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Richard Gay" <willbonds@cfl.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: alpha goose
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:42:44 -0400

I also read that, found it interesting; also read "The Body Language of
Horses."

Traditional trainers (including the one I use) caution against this
technique; it lulls the uninitiated into thinking that they have control of
the horse at that point, and puts them at significant risk of injury for
lack of real horse understanding.

A half-hour in a round pen won't make you the real alpha horse; you haven't
fought the animal over food and mates yet. The exercise with the goose was
different, and the goose doesn't weigh 1200 pounds.